Yesterday I shared my recipe for The Easiest, Healthiest Jam Recipe in the World! There are a lot of creative uses for this delicious condiment, including a fantastic Breakfast Quinoa & Minted Mango Jam. I've adapted the recipe from one of my favourite food bloggers - Kate - from Cookie+Kate. See her recipe for breakfast quinoa.
This recipe uses quinoa as the main grain in the breakfast. Quinoa is great as it's packed full of protein, is gluten free, and can be prepared in as little as 15 minutes. It keeps well in the fridge for few days, so I often prepare a batch to use throughout the week.
This Breakfast Quinoa with Minted Mango Jam is divine - a deep nutty flavour from the quinoa, a sweet punch from the minted mango jam, and a wholesome texture of coconut and almonds, which are toasted to perfection.
I loved it this recipe and it made my wonder why anyone would ever buy boxed cereal again. Play around with the combinations, as Kate does, and try out a variety of options.
- fresh green apple, toasted walnuts and dates
- chopped figs, sunflower seeds and blueberries
- banana, cinnamon and toasted almonds
- dried cherries and toasted hazelnuts
Breakfast Quinoa with Minted Mango Jam
This breakfast quinoa provides a deep nutty flavour, paired with sweet mango, fresh mint, toasted coconut and almonds. Perfection in a bowl.
- 1/2 cup quinoa (red or other)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup nut/rick milk (soy, almond, hazelnut, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons [url href="http://littlejars.com/jam/" target="_blank"]minted mango jam[/url]
- Wash the quinoa, or soak for 20 minutes, then rinse.
- At the same time, lightly toast coconut, then almonds in a pan on low heat. Make sure to flip the ingredients around in the pan so that they brown evenly.
- Add quinoa to a pot, along with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer, until all water is evaporated. Do not take the lid off, but keep an eye on it. Once the water is almost evaporated, turn off heat and let the pot stand (lid on) for 10 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork, and add to a bowl. Layer on the [url href="http://littlejars.com/jam/" target="_blank"]minted mango jam[/url], coconut and almonds.
- Pour the milk around the quinoa.